Tuesday & Wednesday
AM Schoology Link:
PM Schoology Link:
Daily Activities Links:
S1 - Day Four - Art Movements And Styles - Impressionism
Impressionism was the first of the art movement (1870 - 1890) that broke away from traditional printing style and subject matter completely, inventing new ideology and conception of art. Impressionism is best described as an innovative and a fresh start to modern compositional norms. Inventions of artificial pigments were being made to create new vibrant colors for artists to use on their works. Smaller, luminous canvases and metal paint tubes were being made causing artists to freely move from outside of their studios and paint outdoors. Conventions of camera influenced many artist's candid subject matter and composition
Write 3-5 sentences on how you would describe this Art Movement.
Lecture & Vocabulary
- Plane: a shape which is essentially two-dimensional in nature but who’s
relationship with other shapes may give an illusion third dimension.
- Positive space: space that is occupied by an element or a form.
- Negative space: the unoccupied or empty space left after the positive shapes
have been laid down by the artist; however, because these areas have boundaries, they also
function as shapes in the total design.
- Two-dimensional: having two dimensions (height and width); referring to something that is flat.
- Two-dimensional space: a measurable distance on a surface which show height
and width but lack any illusion of thickness or depth.
- Three-dimensional: occupying or giving the illusion of three dimensions
(height, width, depth).
- Three-dimensional space: a sensation of space which seems to have thickness
or depth as well as height and width.
- Linear perspective: a system for creating the illusion of depth on a two dimensional surface. The system
is based on a scientifically or mathematically derived series of actual or implied lines that intersect at a
vanishing point on the horizon. Linear perspective determines the relative size of objects from the
foreground of an image to the background